I've been trying to think of a tradition to start with our children to remember and celebrate their Aunt Mal every year - something that would allow her to be a special part of our children's lives and that would enable her life to continue touching others as she did so well throughout her 25 years. I decided to borrow the idea of my sweet friend Carolina, who lost her precious new son Andrew a couple of years ago and who, along with her husbad, celebrates his life every year by finding a way to serve others on Andrew's birthday.
Opportunites to serve are limited with two kids under 18 months, but this afternoon I took the boys to visit a retirement community/assisted living home, and they brought many smiles and much joy to some sweet, lonely, elderly men and women. We were also asked to speak at a foster parent training class in the evening, so we took the boys along and were grateful for a second opportunity to serve as a family on this special day. I am grateful for such a special way to celebrate Mallory's life, and I know this will be a special tradition in our family for the rest of our lives (thanks, Carolina!).
The boys bringing smiles to the assited living home - and Javen borrowing one of his new friend's hats:)

A video about Mal

Thank you so much for sharing this. It is encouraging and a very special way to honor your sister.
ReplyDeleteOH Whitney....the video made me cry. Praying for your hurting heart as you honor your sister. What a beautiful, tangible way to remember her with your children.
ReplyDeleteLove you, Whitney. Praying for you as you remember and grieve, and rejoice that she is whole in the presence of Jesus. (hugs)
ReplyDeleteWhitney,
ReplyDeleteThis video is so beautiful. Mallory seems like she was an amazing woman. Praying for you and your family today.
Rachel Edgel
I love this. I loved that you could go and encourage those men and women in honor and memory of Mal. You never stop pointing us to the cross Whit, thank you for being such a beautiful example of Christ in all of our lives. Love you!
ReplyDeletePraying for you friend. beautiful video!
ReplyDeleteWhat a precious picture of the boys! What an honor you barrowed that idea as your own way of remembering Mallory. I know your boys will grow up remembering her with love through serving others. It is hard volunteering with little ones, but I think a nursing home is an excellent idea!
ReplyDeleteAnd I loved Mallory's video at the end- thank you for sharing.
Love you Whitney! Love the way you are choosing to celebrate Mallory, precious picture of the boys, beautiful video. Praying for you this week. (((hugs)))
ReplyDeletelove you so much, friend....and i'm so sad that I couldn't be there with you this week, and that I didn't email you on monday. Love you so incredibly much....you are simply continuing her joy by extending her heart towards others.
ReplyDelete